Monday, June 15, 2009

Arches National Park

I arrived in Moab around 2:30 in the afternoon and made my way directly to Arches National Park with the hope of obtaining a campsite there.  I was greeted by a “Campground Full” sign at the entrance gate.  Darn.  Perhaps, the smart thing would have been to turn around and go back out into Moab to find a campsite, but I figured something would be available, even if that something was a hotel room, so I proceeded inward.  Once I had zigzagged my way into the park proper, I was immediately taken by the beauty of the rock formations.  The color was so vibrant.  I couldn’t help myself but be distracted by the very first trailhead I encountered.  It was a one mile trail called Park Avenue that didn’t even contain any arches.  I didn’t care though, I had been cooped up in a car for three days and was hitching to go hiking.  I grabbed some water, sunblock, and my camera and head off.  In my excitement, I lost the trail markers on several occasions.  Brilliant – it’s 90+ degrees in the desert and I’m not paying attention to where I was going.  At least this trail was not too far off of the road, so there wasn’t a huge chance of me getting seriously lost.  A good lesson to learn about not getting too wrapped up in my surroundings at that point.  I was much more vigilant after that.

An interesting rock formation I encountered on my way to Moab


My first arch (Wilson's Arch) not too far outside of Moab

Views from the Park avenue trail



The rock formation on the right is called the Three Gossips


An area where it is hypothesized that an arch once stood.  The remaining formation on the right is called Sheep Rock since it sort of looks like a sheep


After I finished my first hike of the day (2 miles round trip plus a couple small detours), I decided that perhaps I should have a plan of attack.  I decided that I would drive the entirety of the park to get a feel for the layout (and check out the campsite just in case something had opened up – it hadn’t) but plan to limit my sightseeing to the front portion of the park that day.  I would tackle the back portion, which had longer trails, the following day since I would have more time.

After doing the park circuit, I headed for an area called “The Windows.”  There were several arches in this section.  I first went to see the North and South Windows and was able to see Turret Arch on my way.  The front side of the Window Arches were full of people, but there was a primitive path that went around to the back side.  Naturally, I took it and was rewarded with solitary views of the arches, and I was able to get some photos of them without people in them. 

A cool tree near the Windows arches.  I found myself fascinated by the dead twisted trees.


Turret Arch


Me in front of the North Arch.  One of the benefits of having so many people around is that someone is willing to take my picture.


The South and North arches from the back


Cool rock formations along the primitive trail

Also near the windows, was an Arch called Double Arch.  It was pretty cool, and the name is self-explanatory.  After climbing around that arch for a bit, I headed back to my car.  I had one more stop before heading out to find a place to sleep.  Again, this one also has a rather self-explanatory name – Balanced Rock.  There was a short trail that went all the way around it, so I was able to get a good look at it from every angle.

Double Arch actually has three openings



Looking up through the one at the top


Balanced rock

By this time it was 6:00, and since I wasn’t sure how long it would take me to find a campsite, I figured I should head out.  I had a met a family at the Windows Arches that were staying at a campsite along the Colorado River, so I headed there first.  Unfortunately, there wasn’t anything left available, so I headed back towards Moab.  I stopped at a Holiday Inn just before town just to see what the hotel situation (and prices) was like but they were full as well.  Not a good sign, but the desk clerk did tell me of a hotel well into town that still had rooms available.  I figured this would give a good chance of finding another camping alternative along the way.  Before I spotted any other campsites, I spotted a Best Western with vacancies available.  I pulled in and they did indeed have rooms available but for >$150/night.  Given I had been paying <$15/night up to that point, I said no thank you.  I was willing to take my chances, and, worst case scenario, I could always go back there if I absolutely had to.  I reached the hotel recommended by the desk clerk prior to spotting any additional camping options, but I had seen some other vacancy signs along my way, so I figured I still had some price shopping options.  But, as I was searching for a parking space, I spotted a campground just a bit further down the street, so I bee-lined it there (obeying all traffic laws of course).  Yay!  They had tent sights still available and showers!  Since I hadn’t gotten one the day before I was hoping to get one that night.  I set up camp, took my shower, had dinner, and read a bit before heading for bed.  It had been a long day and I was tired, plus I wanted to get an early start the next day.

While I was driving around looking for a place to stay I started trying to figure out if it would also be possible to visit Canyonlands National Park while I was in the area.  I had learned earlier that day that it was only about 30 miles away.  So while I was eating dinner, I took a closer look at my map of Arches.  I figured that I could probably see everything else I wanted to see at Arches by noon and then head up to Canyonlands.  I was also hoping there would still be campsites available there by the time I arrived.

I woke around 6:00AM the following morning and was in the park by 7:00AM.  I started with the things I wanted to see closest to the front of the park and worked my way to the back.  I went for a short hike to see Delicate Arch but did not take the longer hike up to the arch.  I figured I could do that one if time permitted on my way out.  I then drove to another part of the park and hiked about a mile (one way) to see the Sand Dune Arch and Broken Arch.  Because it was so early, I fortunate enough to basically have all of these arches to myself.  A few early hikers had reached Delicate Arch, but they were pretty tiny from where I was standing.

The sun trying to come through the cloud cover and reflecting off the rocks below


Is it going to rain on me or not?


Delicate Arch on the left

Another neat rock formation inthe park


On the way to Sand Dune Arch

Sand Dune Arch

Broken Arch

Skyline Arch

Finally, I headed back towards “Devils Garden.”  There are a lot of arches in this section of the park and several hiking trails.  I first set out to see Landscape Arch, probably the most famous arch at the park.  Along the way, I was able to detour off the main path to see Tunnel Arch and Pine Tree Arch.  I finally reached Landscape Arch, and it is quite impressive, although at this point I think I was starting to get “arched out.”  I was getting tired and hungry and I had to go to the bathroom – all of this and it was still before 10:00AM.  I decided that while it might be cool to see the Double O Arch and a couple of others, I had seen enough.  I headed back to my car (and the restrooms), filled up all of my water bottles at the water station and headed to Canyonlands.  All in all, I had hiked at least 5 miles already that day.

Tunnel Arch

Pine Tree Arch - the name of this one wasn't obvious to me


Landscape Arch - I imagine you are getting "arched out" by now too, so moving on...


1 comment:

mellowyellow said...

arched out...lol. I was thinking, wow there are a lot of arches....