Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's finally here!

I have been wanting to go back to Nepal since I spent 3 days in Kathmandu way back in April, 2004, and I am finally heading back - yay!  I even managed to find an awesome traveling companion - my friend Heather.  I'm hoping to post a photo of us before I leave town, but if it doesn't happen, I imagine there will be plenty of pics to share once we arrive in Nepal.

I'm hoping to post as frequently as possible while I am there but lack of electricity and internet in some of the places we are going will likely leave a few time periods where you don't hear much from us.

So what's the plan?

Depart New York City at 8:30PM Friday, October 17.  We have a connection in Moscow, so I'm crossing my fingers for some good duty free shopping opportunities to scope out for the return trip.  Please let us find good chocolate!  (I think it is a safe bet to say we will definitely find some good vodka).  From Moscow we head to Delhi and then on to Kathmandu - total travelling time of over 28 hours - yikes!

As of right now, the flights are about the only things we have in order.  With 28 hours stuck on a plane and in airports, I think we've got plenty of time to start figuring out what we want to do.  We will definitely be trekking on the Annapurna circuit, but the details surrounding making that happen can't really even begin until we arrive in Nepal.  Other things on the possible to do list include rafting, canyoneering, and chilling out at an ashram, so stay tuned for the details as they develop.

5 comments:

Woj said...

Have a good trip, Erin. Sounds like a great time. Looking forward to your pics when you can send them. ~Thaddeus

JoeyLim said...

Have a great trip! Are you flying Aeroflot? Will you two be able to see Moscow too (or is there not enough time or is there a visa needed for that?)

OregonJR said...

Erin:

Have a wonderful trek through Nepal! I'm jealous, but thankful that it's not me!!! Bring us back one of those Russian Vodkas, and Denise and I will make sure there's a wonderful bottle of Willamette Valley Pinot Noir waiting for you in Napa next Spring!

Be safe and have a wonderful trip!
Jeff

sally said...

Have a great time you two!! I am so jealous, and am so glad you set this up as a way for us to enjoy the trip vicariously!! We will miss you, Sally

Unknown said...

You're probably now on an airplane, hopefully not in the Moscow airport. Come back with tales of the outside world. - DebK